Dictionary is your friend! he is that person that you run to when you want to know how to spell or to learn new words .He is the friend that tells you different definitions that will suit the context .
- A dictionary is a reference book containing the words of a language usually alphabetically arranged with information on their forms ,pronunciations ,functions ,meanings,spellings and idiomatic expressions.
Now here are five guidelines that will help students and also increase their speed which will save time .
Of the approximately 1 million words in the English dictionary , the average English speaker knows 60,000 of those words .Besides helping with the spelling and word meanings ,being able to use a dictionary effectively and regularly is a perfect way to improve your English language skills through the dictionary’s range of other helpful information on everyday language usage and grammar.
- Choose the right one : the right choice of dictionary also contributes to the growth of students.it is also a good idea to upgrade your dictionary collection every now and then so that you can access the latest new words that are added to the dictionary every year.
note: many countries have their own native dictionaries so make sure you pick the one you understand more and the one that is easy for you.
- Read the introduction: the best way to use the dictionary effectively is to read the introductory section where you’ll find out how the entries are arranged . This section will explain important information such as the abbreviations and pronunciation symbols used throughout the entries .
- Learn the abbreviations : dictionaries often have abbreviations in the definitions for a word. This can be confusing if you don’t know what the abbreviations stand for. For example ; ” adj” which stands for “adjective”
- Learn the guide to pronunciation : If you immediately jump right into reading the dictionary without understanding the pronunciation guide ,it can be difficult to figure it out .Having an idea about the symbols of pronunciation will make it easier for you.
- Find the section of the dictionary with the first letter of your word: The book follows alphabetical order. For example, ” dog” begins with “d” which means that it will be in the section after “c” and before ” e” .
- Read the definition : Once you’ve located the word it will tell you exactly whats it means (and if it has more than one meaning , it will tell you the most common one first ), how it is pronunced ,how to capitalize it (if it’s a proper noun), what part of speech it is and so on.
Here are five reasons students should the dictionary often
- Students must use the it often because it helps improve our spelling skills, grammar, word families ,prepositions, phrasal verbs, idioms ,collocations and more.
- PRONUNCIATION: It improves our pronunciation skill which will allow eloquence.
- It can help you appreciate how complex and nuanced English is and they can help you appreciate how capable you are of understanding it.
- It helps students to fully understand a word and thus develop their vocabulary.
- It also helps students learn other language because like i mentioned earlier, we have dictionaries in different languages so students can use and learn new language.